Michigan Health Centers Play a Critical Role in Connecting Michiganders with Coverage
Monday, May 05, 2014
On May 1, 2014, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced that after the close of the first Health Insurance Marketplace enrollment period (October 1, 2013, through March 31, 2014, in addition to special enrollment period activity through April 19, 2014), over 8 million Americans have enrolled in Marketplace plans nationwide. In Michigan, the total number of enrollees is 272,539.
Outreach and enrollment staff at Michigan Health Centers played a significant role in connecting individuals and families to coverage during this historic six-month period.
“Michigan Health Center outreach and enrollment workers have done a tremendous job educating individuals in their communities about options available to them, and assisting them in enrolling in affordable health plans that best meet their individual and family needs,” said Kim Sibilsky, Chief Executive Officer, Michigan Primary Care Association. “As a result of their efforts, more Michiganders are now insured, increasing their access to primary and preventive care that is so important for health and wellness.”
During the first enrollment period, Michigan’s Health Centers assisted 78,999 state residents with health insurance coverage. They also helped Michiganders submit 21,069 applications for coverage, and facilitated 15,149 health plan enrollments during the same time period.
“The ongoing dedication and guidance of Health Center outreach and enrollment staff will continue to connect individuals and families with plans that best fit their needs, including the new Healthy Michigan Plan that opened for enrollment on April 1,” said Sibilsky.
Here is a closer look at the Michigan-specific data:
- 272,539 Michigan residents have selected a plan in the Marketplace
- Michigan’s enrollment total exceeded HHS projections (enrolling 161,000) for the state by nearly 112,000
- 55,399 residents have also selected a stand-alone dental plan
- 37.6% of the eligible population in Michigan has enrolled
- Michigan currently has the 6th highest percentage of eligible residents enrolled and the 8th highest number of enrollees
- The percentage of young adults (age 18-34) enrolling through the Marketplace in Michigan reached 29%
- Michigan’s young adult enrollment was slightly higher than the average for all states (28%)
- 88% of Michigan’s enrollees selected a Silver medal level plan or higher
- This is higher than the average for all states (81%)
- 87% of Michigan’s enrollees received financial assistance through the Marketplace
- 81% of those who received financial assistance selected a silver plan, which shows most enrollees maximized the potential impact of cost-sharing reductions
Combined with the 158,654 individuals enrolled in the Healthy Michigan Plan thus far, over 431,000 Michiganders have gained health insurance.
Click here to read HHS’ press release issued May 1, 2014. Click here to read the Marketplace Enrollment report in its entirety.