Michigan Primary Care Association Honors Health Center Staff, Board Members, Volunteers & Partners
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Lansing, MI, September 15, 2015 – The Michigan Primary Care Association (MPCA), the association representing Michigan Health Centers, recognized over 30 Michigan Health Center board members, volunteers, partners, and staff during an award ceremony held during the 2015 MPCA Annual Conference in Traverse City.
The ceremony held on September 1, 2015, presented awards in nine categories. The award category, award winner(s), and description of award follow.
2015 Ralph C. Mills Health Center Board Member of the Year Award
Corey VanFleet, Past Chair, Baldwin Family Health Care, Baldwin, Michigan
The award is given to honor a Michigan Health Center board member who exemplifies dedication and commitment to providing quality health care to Michigan residents.
2015 Clinician of the Year Award
Catherine Kroll, Chief Medical Officer, Upper Great Lakes Family Health Care, Hancock, Michigan
The award is given to honor a Michigan Health Center clinician who exemplifies leadership, dedication, and commitment to providing quality health care to Michigan residents.
2015 Cindy Cooley Nursing Leadership Award
Monica Whitfield, OB Nurse, Family Health Center, Inc., Kalamazoo, Michigan
The award is given to honor a Michigan Health Center nurse who exemplified dedication and commitment to providing quality health care to Michigan residents.
2015 Finance Director/Officer of the Year Award
Valerie Blondin, Chief Financial Officer, Hackley Community Care Center, Muskegon, Michigan
The award is given to honor a Michigan Health Center finance director/officer for dedication, commitment, and outstanding service on behalf of Michigan Health Center patients.
2015 Advocate of the Year Award
Lisa Rutledge, Special Projects Manager, Western Wayne Family Health Center, Inkster, Michigan
The award is given to honor an individual who tirelessly advocates on behalf of, and raises the visibility of, Michigan Health Centers and the patients they serve.
Faces of Michigan Health Care Media Award
Karen Bouffard, Reporter, Detroit News
The award is given to a reporter who, through accurate reporting, has helped raise the visibility of Health Centers, the issues facing the medically underserved, and the critical need for access to quality, comprehensive, affordable health care across the state.
2015 Distinguished Service Award
The award recognizes commitment, dedication, and outstanding service on behalf of Michigan Health Center patients.
- Michael Reagan, Chief External Relations Officer, Cherry Health, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Derek Ware, Chief of Staff and Executive Administrator, Detroit Community Health Connection
- Deana Stanley-Garry, Dental Reimbursement and Information Specialist, Sterling Area Health Center, Sterling, Michigan
- Jill Wolgamott, Site Director, East Jordan Family Health Center, East Jordan, Michigan
- Linda Ferrell, Driver and Dental Assistant, InterCare Community Health Network, Bangor, Michigan
- Moses Walker, Board Treasurer, Family Health Center, Inc., Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Marcia Patton-Johnson, Clinical Director, Family Medical Center of Michigan, Temperance, Michigan
- Kosrae Harman, Program Manager, Thunder Bay Community Health Service, Inc., Hillman, Michigan
- Linda Constantino, Chief Financial Officer, Cherry Health, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Lloyd Kernen, Chief Financial Officer, Oakland Integrated Healthcare Network, Pontiac, Michigan
- Patricia Johnson, Director and Board Secretary, Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center, Hancock, Michigan
- Kathy Jackson, Pediatrician, Family Health Center, Inc., Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Nancy Dextrom, Vice Chair of Governing Board, Thunder Bay Community Health Center, Inc., Hillman, MI
- Adrienne Grimmett, Dental Director, Family Health Center, Inc., Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Eric Davidson, Board Secretary, Baldwin Family Health Care, Baldwin, Michigan
- Joseph Ferguson, Executive Director, Advantage Health Center, Detroit, Michigan
- Anthony King, Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, The Wellness Plan Medical Centers, Detroit, Michigan
Peer Leadership Award
The award recognizes Michigan Health Center staff who are leaders among their peers, particularly within the MPCA Communications Network in which they participate.
- Lynn Kiter, Billing and Reporting Manager, Ingham Community Health Centers, Lansing, Michigan
- Diane Anderson, Chief Human Resource Officer, Hackley Community Care Center, Muskegon, Michigan
- Christian Garcia, Regional Outreach Supervisor, InterCare Community Health Network, Bangor, Michigan
- Stacey Gedeon, Director of Behavioral Health and Integrated Primary Care, MidMichigan Community Health Services, Houghton Lake, Michigan
- Staci Allmand, Detroit Central City Health Center, Detroit, Michigan
- Alison Dault, Cherry Health, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Pork Chop Award
The award honors an individual who embodies the spirit of MPCA.
- Ed Larkins, Executive Director, Family Medical Center of Michigan, Temperance, Michigan
- Linda Welle, HRSA/Bureau of Primary Health Care
- Donald Simila, Chief Executive Officer, Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center, Hancock, Michigan
Award winners received a plaque along with a reading of their nomination narration from MPCA CEO, Kim Sibilsky and MPCA board president, Denise Crawford, President and CEO, Family Health Center, Inc. “The annual awards program is a long-standing MPCA tradition” according to Sibilsky. “For over 30 years, the Association has honored Health Center staff, board members, volunteers, and partners for their accomplishments and dedication to serving the residents of Michigan who lack access to critical primary and preventive care.”
Today, 40 Michigan Health Centers provide quality, affordable, comprehensive primary and preventive health care for more than 615,000 residents at over 250 sites located in both rural and urban communities.
Additional information on the 2015 award winners, the award winner nomination narrative and past award winners can be found here.
Photos available upon request.
About Michigan Primary Care Association
For over 35 years, the Michigan Primary Care Association (MPCA) has been the voice for Health Centers and other community-based providers. MPCA is a leader in building a healthy society in which all residents have convenient and affordable access to quality health care. MPCA’s mission is to promote, support, and develop comprehensive, accessible, and affordable quality community-based primary care services to everyone in Michigan. For more information, please visit www.mpca.net or call 517.381.8000.