When communicating with your elected officials via email, be sure to personalize your message—especially if you are responding to an action alert or participating in an email campaign.
- Email the elected officials who represent your Health Center and the elected officials who represent the district where you live.
- Personal emails are more effective and receive much more attention than form emails.
- Address the email to The Honorable (full name).
- Address the issue you are writing about in your introduction, referencing its bill number.
- Explain simply and factually how the issue affects your Health Center and its patients.
- Include your name, address, and phone number to ensure that you receive a reply.
- Thank the elected official for his/her attention, and invite contact for more information.
- In addition to emailing about legislation and policy, email elected officials to let them know about your Health Center’s annual report, new board members, anniversary and other special events. This will keep them informed and help them remember your Health Center.
- Send a copy of your email to Colleen Healy at firstname.lastname@example.org so MPCA can coordinate its advocacy efforts with your efforts.
Health Center Advocacy Resources
Housed within the MPCA website is a wealth of educational and resource materials on a variety of topics relevant to Michigan Health Centers and the delivery of primary and preventive care to medically underserved areas and populations. To access Health Center Advocacy Resources you may search the website by keyword using the search field at the top of this page, or you may search the Health Center Advocacy Resources webpage.