|Position Description: Under the supervision of a Health Center Manager, provides comprehensive nursing services including assessment, teaching, counseling, and prevention services to individuals and families to promote health throughout the community. Participates in the operation of health centers and programs, maintains client and program activity records, and educates clients on a variety of health topics.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following:
1. Interviews clients and conducts health assessments including conducting physical assessments, obtaining blood pressure, temperature, measurements, and other data and developing information on health and diet history and family health status.
2. Assesses various tests and screening results and correlates them with health history and physical assessment. Determines absence or presence of abnormalities in the health history, physical examination, and health maintenance activities. Reviews lab results and specialist reports and refers to the appropriate physician in a timely manner.
3. Arranges for specialized testing, medical procedures, and specialist referrals. Completes necessary paperwork, contacts specialist’s offices, hospitals, labs, or other facilities to make appointments. Contacts client or caregiver to inform them of appointment and any special preparations needed. Completes paper work, mails copies to client or caregiver, and refers to proper personnel to complete referral authorizations as needed.
4. Obtains appropriate authorizations for care, communicating with clients and case managers regarding issues related to authorizations, benefits, and medical treatment.
5. Refers clients to specialists for diagnostic tests. Coordinates paperwork including prior authorizations obtained. Notifies client of appointments and educates client if necessary regarding required preparation.
6. Provides case management evaluation to clients who have complicated health care needs to ensure optimal outcome of care or refers them to other department staff for evaluation.
7. Reviews written prescriptions with client or caregiver, explaining purpose, side effects, dosage, and any special instructions.
8. Assists physician with physical assessments and procedures as needed. Gives treatments, medications and injections and performs testing per physician orders. Instructs client or caregiver in the proper way to collect specimen in order to get accurate results.
9. Maintains client charts, ensuring proper documentation of clinic visits, diagnosis, treatments, and medications. Codes client’s diagnosis for accurate billing.
10. Triages calls or visits from clients and caregivers. Determines needs and initiates appropriate action such as intervention, appointment, after hour clinic referral, or answering client questions. May initiate appropriate action by using standing orders for over-the-counter medications or referring to provider or social worker, calling parents, and/or administering physician ordered medications, including controlled substances, after appropriate documents are obtained.
11. Works with diverse cultures including non-English speaking clients to overcome barriers to obtaining health care.
12. Reports cases of suspected abuse or neglect of children and adults to the proper authorities in accordance with department policy and state law.
13. Assesses the immunization status of clients. In accordance with written protocols, administers immunizations and documents immunization records.
14. Ensures that client records are kept secure and confidential and maintained consistent with Health Department policies and procedures and HIPAA standards. Educates clients and families on their rights as related to privacy of medical information.
During a public health emergency, the employee may be required to perform duties similar to, but not limited, to those in his/her job description.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Experience: Two years of nursing experience, preferably in a physician’s office or similar setting.
Possession of a current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
|How to Apply/Contact
|Please apply at Current Job Opportunities | Sorted by Job Title ascending | Ingham County Job Opportunities (governmentjobs.com)