Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Register
Substance Use Disorder Treatment
Share |

 

Substance use disorder (SUD) negatively affects millions of people across the country. In fact, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s National Survey on Drug Use and Health showed that 19 million American adults had an SUD in 2016, but only 11 percent of those who needed treatment received it. Of the other 89 percent, nearly 96 percent said they “didn’t need treatment.” Unfortunately, abstinence-based treatments are not reaching the vast majority of people with SUDs.

Health Centers Provide Treatment

More than half of Michigan’s community health centers are providing some form of SUD treatment, and they’ve increased the number of providers who can prescribe medication-assisted treatment (MAT) to their patient population. These frontline health center employees have been trained on Screening Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment, the American Society of Addiction Medicine Criteria, trauma-informed care, naloxone administration, and safe prescribing. Knowing that medication is one tool that can be used to treat substance use disorder, health centers have created integrated care teams that can treat the entire person.

 

Nine Michigan health centers have received funding under the SUD Innovations Grant to deliver MAT using an integrated care team. Each patient in the treatment program meets regularly with the care team to help them stay on their recovery journey. Health centers participating in the SUD Innovations Grant include: 

  • Advantage Health Centers
  • Covenant Community Care, Inc. 
  • Family Health Center, Inc. 
  • Family Medical Center of Michigan
  • Hamilton Community Health Network
  • Honor Community Health 
  • InterCare Community Health Network 
  • Traverse Health Clinic
  • Western Wayne Family Health Centers
Three Michigan health centers — Alcona Health Center, Thunder Bay Community Health Service, Inc., and Traverse Health Clinic — participate in the Opioid Health Home program, which provides  comprehensive care management and coordination services to Medicaid beneficiaries with an opioid use disorder. 

Changing the Script of Addiction

What we say and how we say it matters. One way that we can lead is by using clinically appropriate and medically accurate terminology that recognizes SUD as a chronic illness from which people can and do recover, not a moral failing. Be a model for others by signing the SUD Innovations Grant "Words Matter" Pledge

 

Resources

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal