Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Register
Health Care for the Homeless
Share |

Michigan Primary Care Association is committed to working with members and partner agencies to better understand and respond to the needs of homeless individuals and families. Michigan's Campaign to End Homelessness 2012 Annual Summary reports that there are 93,619 homeless people in Michigan. A few additional facts:

  • Since the 2010 count of 100,176 there has been a decrease of 6.54% homeless people in Michigan
  • This translates to 6,557 fewer people on the street or in shelters; the greatest decrease was observed among families, which accounted for 75% of the decline (homeless singles made up the other 25 percent)
  • The number of homeless families in Michigan dropped by 8.7% in 2011. Still, about 50% of the homeless population in Michigan consists of adults and children in families
  • More than half of the families (51%) were first-time homeless
  • Unaccompanied Homeless Singles represent 50% of the state’s homeless population
  • More than a quarter of the Michigan homeless are employed (28%) and many (17%) report a monthly income of less than $300
  • Nearly a quarter (24%) reported having at least some college or technical school education
  • More data


In 2012, Michigan Health Centers Served 21,545 Homeless Patients

Health Care for the Homeless Sites in Michigan

Health Care for the Homeless Resources

Housed within the MPCA website is a wealth of educational and resource materials on a variety of topics relevant to Michigan Health Centers and the delivery of primary and preventive care to medically underserved areas and populations. To access Health Care for the Homeless Resources you may search the website by keyword using the search field at the top of this page, or you may search the Health Care for the Homeless Resources webpage.


More Information

Sara Coates, MA, MPH
Director, Integrated Health and Programs


Brittani Barkley
Integrated Health Specialist


Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal