All-Time MPCA Award Winners
Linda Hutchinson Community Connector Award
This award was established in 2019 in memory of Linda Hutchinson, who was a community health worker at Northwest Michigan Health Services. This award recognizes compassionate individuals who are able to discover unique way to help patients, just as Linda did. Individuals skilled at connecting patients to necessary resources, even when few community resources exist, and those who understand the social determinants of health and how they impact patient well-being, are candidates for this award.
- 2022: Omar Jones, Great Lakes Bay Health Centers
- 2021: Socorro Rodrigues, Cherry Health
- 2019: Wayne White, MyCare Health Center
Ralph C. Mills Health Center Board Member of the Year
MPCA established the Ralph C. Mills Health Center Board Member of the Year Award to annually honor a Michigan health center board member who exemplifies dedication and commitment to providing quality health care to Michigan residents.
- 2022: Frances Hank, Chairperson, Sault Tribe Health Division Board
- 2021: Hope Lovell, Ingham Community Health Centers
- 2019: Benjamin T Bolser, JD, Thunder Bay Community Health Services, Inc.
- 2018: Dianna Christensen, Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center
Clinician of the Year
For this award, clinician is defined broadly as a Michigan health center staff person who serves in the field of oral health, behavioral health, pharmacy, or nursing/medical assistant as well as clinical physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. The award is given to a Michigan health center clinician who exemplifies leadership, dedication, and commitment to providing quality health care to Michigan residents.
- 2022: Lowell Styer, MD, Sault Tribe Health Center
- 2021: Michael Priebe, MD, Community First Health Centers
- 2019: Kimberly Farrow, Central City Integrated Health
- 2018: Ronal Romero, Packard Health
Cindy Cooley Nursing Leadership Award
MPCA established the Nursing Leadership Award in 2002 in honor of the late Cindy Cooley, a Michigan health center nurse who exemplified dedication and commitment to providing quality health care to Michigan residents.
- 2022: Diane Gadomski, RN, Chief Nursing Officer, Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center
- 2021: Oryanna Diem, BSN, RN, Packard Health
- 2019: Dianne Ankley, RN,BSN, Ingham Community Health Centers,
- 2018: Nancy White, RN, MS, AOCN, Northwest Michigan Health Services, Inc.
- 2017: Laurie Vottero, RN, Great Lakes Bay Health Centers
Finance Director/Officer of the Year
This award honors a Michigan health center finance director/officer for dedication, commitment, and outstanding service on behalf of Michigan health center patients.
- 2022: Cynthia Duncanson, MBA, Chief Financial Officer, Cherry Health Center
- 2021: Eileen Chiang, Family Health Center
- 2019: Rebecca Snow, MPA, Center for Family Health
- 2018: Scott Hutchings, Grace Health
Advocate of the Year
The Advocate of the Year Award was established in 2008 to recognize an individual who tirelessly advocates on behalf of, and raises the visibility of, Michigan health centers and the patients they serve.
- 2022: Stacy Skiba, Thunder Bay Community Health Service, Inc.
- 2021: Michelle Clarke, DDS, Cherry Health
- 2019: Kevin Steely, DDS, Grace Health
- 2018: Elise Bur, Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center
Faces of Michigan Health Care Media Award
MPCA established the Faces of Michigan Health Care Media Award to recognize a journalist or reporter who, through accurate reporting, has helped raise the visibility of health centers, the issues facing the medically underserved and uninsured, and the critical need for access to quality, comprehensive, affordable health care.
- 2019: Robin Erb. Bridge Magazine
- 2015: Karen Bouffard, Detroit News
- 2014: Jay Greene, Crain’s Detroit Business
Distinguished Service Award
Each Health Center may nominate one volunteer, staff member, or group (e.g. nursing staff, billing department) who has made a significant contribution to the overall success of the health center during these very challenging times. You may choose to recognize those who have exhibited determination and persistence during the pandemic. Those who have shown courage, resilience and perseverance while remaining dedicated to family and job, perhaps having faced difficult issues and overcoming obstacles, are fitting for the 2021 Distinguished Service Award.
Peer Leadership Award
The Peer Leadership Award recognizes Michigan health center staff who are leaders among their peers. Candidates may have the following attributes: demonstrates vision, foresight and persistence; considers others; thinks of and shares ideas; brings people together; is well organized and reliable; and is the consummate “team player.”
- 2022: Andre Beaumont, Cherry Health; Rebecca Gaffney, Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center; Morgan Pothoven, Cherry Health; Ashley Vogel, Sault Tribe Health Center; Bob Smith, Cherry Health
- 2021: Patti Balcom, Cherry Health; Jenny Bush, MD, Cherry Health; Eva Lappin, MyCare Health Center
- 2018: Kasie Pickart, Cherry Health; Heather Yawn, Great Lakes Bay Health Centers
- 2017: Sue Hoes, Alcona Health Centers; Glenda Walker, Cherry Health