|Position Description: Conducts oral examinations, serves as a preventative care specialist and provides educational, clinical and therapeutic services supporting total health through the promotion of optimal oral health. Provides treatment that helps to prevent oral diseases such as dental caries and periodontal disease.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following:
1. Reviews charts, updates medical histories, and contacts physicians’ offices with the permission of the patient and dentist for information regarding the patient’s health.
2. Provides services according to guidelines set by the dentist and any instructions from the patient’s personal physician. Records treatment performed and treatment plan prescribed by the dentist after patient visit.
3. Examines the mouth to conduct initial soft tissue examination, including oral cancer screening, to identify dental problems such as periodontal disease or tooth decay. Exposes and process dental x-rays and alerts the dentist to observations.
4. Performs oral prophylaxis on patients scaling and polishing the teeth to remove stains, plaque, and calculus from tooth surfaces. Applies cavity prevention agents such as fluorides and pit and fissure sealants.
5. Maintains accurate medical/dental records and documentation on each patient’s chart.
6. Educates patients on proper diet, proper brushing and flossing technique, and the use of special home care instruments such as dentures, flossing threaders, and interdental brushes. Demonstrates and explains the proper care of dentures and bridges and explains the causes of dental cavities and gum disease and its prevention. Clarifies health questions and summarizes the dental findings of the exam and explains the needed treatment.
7. Practices and maintains proper infectious disease control procedures, including preparation, cleaning and disinfection of treatment room before and after each patient, cleaning and sterilization of dental instruments and disinfection of dental equipment.
8. Maintains dental instruments and equipment in proper working order. Monitors and maintains supply inventory.
9. As necessary, assists the Dental Assistant by seating patients, cleaning packaging, and sterilizing instruments, setting up trays for dental procedures, screening emergency patients, removing sutures, taking impressions, making models, and chair side assisting.
10. Attends continuing education programs as required to maintain license to practice as a dental hygienist.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Must adhere to departmental standards in regard to HIPAA and other privacy issues.
During a public health emergency, the employee may be required to perform duties similar to, but not limited, to those in his/her job description.
Education: Possession of an Associate’s Degree in Dental Hygiene from a school accredited by the American Dental Association.
Experience: One year of experience as a Dental Hygienist, prefer experience with patient behavioral management.
Other Requirements: Must be certified in local anesthesia and nitrous oxide.