BASIC JOB PURPOSE: Provides primary and/or urgent health care to patients of all ages throughout their lifespan, following standards and practices.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works in conjunction with staff physicians under the management of the Vice President / CMO.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires 80% or more of time spent standing/walking. Independently mobile. Requires full range of motion, manual and finger dexterity, and eye-hand coordination. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing. Ability to occasionally transfer and position patients, reposition equipment, and lift supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. Ability to adapt and function in varying environments of workload, patient acuity, worksites and work shifts.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a clinic setting. Contact with patients and staff.
Exposed to communicable disease, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Requires working under stress, in emergency situations or during irregular hours.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This list may not be all inclusive.)
- Provides healthcare and health management for patients of all ages.
- Provides direct patient care, case management, consultation and collaboration with other team members in the provision of health care at Grace Health within the scope of their specialty.
- Assesses the patient’s and family’s psychosocial, emotional, physiological, and environmental needs and priorities.
- Collaborates with nursing, medical or other staff for comprehensive interdisciplinary management of care or referral. Such collaboration includes initiating health care team conferences.
- Assumes leadership and patient advocacy roles for coordinating and communicating patient problems and needs to appropriate health care team members.
- Offers training and educational materials to individuals, families or groups in health prevention, promotion and maintenance.
- Participates in the promotion of educational settings and experiences for health related fields.
- Participates in quality improvement activities including development of standards of care and protocols.
- Provides the highest quality health care through the utilization or conduction of research in physician assistant practice, standard setting, evaluation of care and outcomes, and continuing professional education.
- Enhances their professional and clinical expertise through appropriate educational activities
- Participates actively in efforts to enhance the role of the PA and FHC in all aspects of patient, community, professional relations.
- Conducts medical practice utilizing ancillary and pharmacy services with appropriate cost effectiveness when appropriate.
- Participates in the recruitment, orientation and retention of all medical practitioners as indicated.
- Participates in peer review activities.
- Although each position has its own unique duties and responsibilities, please refer to the policy on Job Descriptions for details that apply to every position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practice, and medical care to give and evaluate patient care.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations, and procedures to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care.
- Skill in taking medical history to assess medical condition and interpret findings.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence.
- Skill in developing and maintaining department quality improvement.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines/procedures relevant to medical practice in a FQHC.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
Education: Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant program and eligible for or currently certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
Experience: Two years of experience preferred
Certificate/License: Current Michigan license as a PA or PA-C; Current DEA certificate; Current BCLS certification.